Museum of the City of San Francisco
By Subject
By Year
The Gift Shop

Pan American World Airways' Clipper in the seaplane harbor at Treasure Island about 1940. The site of the 1939-1940 fairs was to become San Francisco International Airport in 1941. However, the Navy seized the island in 1942, shortly after World War II began, and it became Treasure Island Naval Station .

With the wave of base closures, Treasure Island again became the property of the City of San Francisco. Of the buildings shown in this picture, only the hanger remains.

Another Clipper in the Port of Trade Winds seaplane harbor in 1939. Yerba Buena Island is in the background. The structure, on piles, on the north side of Yerba Buena Island, at the waters' edge, housed the 24 gigantic searchlights, 36 inches wide, in eight different colors. These army-sized lights, when turned on for special occasions, were staffed by a crew of 24 and generated 1,440,000,000 candlepower of light visible for 100 miles.

Two other Clipper photographs are available. The first shows a Clipper passing over the Golden Gate Bridge in 1936, the other shows the same ship over the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

Read C.D. Wright's story of a 1935 Pan-Am Clipper flight to Wake Island.
See: Philippine Clipper Flight Orders for June 1, 1939

Return to top of page