NOTE.-The Stanford Mansion, now called the Stanford-Lathrop Memorial Home, is on the southeast corner of Eighth and N Streets, in Sacramento, California. After the home was given by Mrs. Stanford to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sacramento, in 1900, it was used for many years as an orphanage for children of all ages, under the supervision of the Sisters of Mercy.
In 1932 the younger children were transferred to the new St. Patrick's Orphanage and the Stanford building became a home for girls of high school age. In August 1936, the Sisters of Social Service, a comparatively new community of nuns, trained to serve in all fields of social work, were invited to take charge of the home. The upper part of the building is now used as a home for dependent girls of high school ago and a meeting place for various cultural groups, while the street floor serves as a settlement house for neighborhood men, women and children of many nationalities and denominations.
Despite the fact that the home was used as an orphanage for so many years, the building is in good condition, and the Sisters of Social Service, under the capable leadership of Sister Lucile and with the assistance of friends, have succeeded in restoring the drawing rooms, banquet hall, dining room and bedroom of Mrs. Stanford to a semblance of their original condition. Much of the Stanford furniture of rosewood, walnut and intricate Italian inlays remains. The mansion is now open daily from 2:00 to 5:00 P.M., and visitors are welcome, There is no charge for admission. -- THE EDITORS.