Museum of the City of San Francisco
By Subject
By Year
The Gift Shop


After the earthquake which occurred on April 18th 1906, we found that the doors had been thrown off the track, and the engine moved about two feet forward. Noticing smoke from the rear windows of our quarters we left for Laguna and Fulton streets, where we took the hydrant on the northeast corner and led our line to the north side of Fulton St., between Octavia and Laguna streets, using what little water was in the main. We then connected our line with Engine No. 14 at Hayes and Laguna streets, working there until about 12 midnight April 18th, when the fire was extinguished.

Our next move was to Hayes and Octavia streets, from where we led a line down Hayes to Gough streets, and up Octavia and Fell streets, working in that vicinity until about 1 a.m April 19th, cutting the fire off. From here we were ordered to Polk and Ellis streets, where we tried the hydrants, but found no water; so continued our journey down Ellis to Jones St., connecting with Engine Co. 30, (then at O'Farrell and Jones streets), and led our line down Jones to Eddy St., where we worked until driven out at about 5 a.m. April 19th.

From there we were ordered to Van Ness and Ellis streets, and took the hydrant on the northwest corner where we remained for a couple of hours, until ordered by Chief Shaughnessy to Geary and Hyde streets, taking the hydrant on the northeast corner. In company with Engine No. 23 we worked in this neighborhood until instructed to leave by Chief Dolan at about 2 p.m. April 19th. Under orders from Chief Shaughnessy we again located at Van Ness and Ellis streets, and in company with Engine No. 23 back- fired all the buildings (in the rear) on the east side of Van Ness between Ellis and Geary, working there until the afternoon of April 19th.

We worked in the vicinity of Franklin and Geary streets, all night of April 19th, and then moved under orders from Chief Wills to Van Ness and Grove St., from where we returned to Green and Van Ness. Chief Dougherty instructed us to return to quarters at 10 a.m. April 20th after having been on duty over 50 hours.

Return to 1906 Earthquake and Fire Report.
Return to top of page.