CHEMICAL ENGINE NO. 2
STATION POST NEAR FILLMORE
Captain J.R. Mitchell Chemical Engine No. 2 stated that a Chimney from an adjoining building fell through their sky-light and frightened the horses who broke loose and escaped. No fire alarms sounded at this station, as the earthquake had damaged the whole system. His crew worked for 75 hours immediately after the quake and helped extinguish twenty-three fires.
Mr. Mitchell further stated that immediately after the quake 51 fires started in different parts of the City, and had it not been on account of the Telephone, and Signal System being entirely disabled by the quake he seems satisfied that these fires which originally started from the effects of the quake would have been extinguished immediately if it had been possible to obtain any water from hydrants. It was not until May 11, 1906, that the Fire Department was able to use its signals.
Platt and R.C. Schindler